From the moment I stepped off the plane in Sydney (for my stop-over), I was already ecstatic. While going through security I was greeted by happy guards, who invited me through the metal detector by saying "Step right up dear, everyone's a winner!" It is a GREAT feeling to be back in a country where people can understand me and where I can read the signs.
Once in New Zealand, I met up with my mom's cousin, Susan, in downtown Auckland. She drove me to her brother John's, where I spent my first night in New Zealand. It was COLD!! But then again, compared to Asia I think any place would be cold. It seemed to be a real cold
spell here though - a great welcome to the country.. Rainy, cold, and stormy. Apparently there was even snow on the south island! I met up with my grandma's sister the next day. We spent the next 24 hours dodging rain storms and hail storms, while trying to get information for me
so I could come up with a more concrete plan of what I would do in New Zealand. We headed back to her home on the North Shore for an early night of relaxation, during which she filled me in on everything I'd ever need to know about my distant relatives. We managed to get a couple of minutes on Milford Beach, and a few more on Takapuna beach (where we saw a double rainbow!), while dodging in and out of shops and on and off buses trying to avoid the rain. I spent some more time with John before heading north to Piha with Susan's family. (Photo: On Milford Beach - Auckland North Shore)
I will be spending Easter here in Piha in their beautiful '
bach' as they call it - (bach as in bachelor), a cottage/country house. It's right by the beach with a beautiful view - over the tree tops you can see the waves crashing across the rocks, watch the sun set over the ocean, and daydream away as you sit peacefully in the comfortable lawn chairs. I am living comfortably in 'the cabana,' just beside the main house. The weather cleared up and today I even managed to get some more sun on my face. It's beautiful here, but apparently the South Island is even more spectacular - I can't wait!
Piha Beach
I'll have lots of time in the next couple of days to look over my brochures and finalize my plans before heading back to Auckland and purchasing my bus pass and heading off on a whole new journey.
On Piha Beach by Lion Rock
I hope everyone has a great Easter long weekend with lots of spring sunshine and (hopefully) no more snow! While everyone at home will now be enjoying the warm spring months leading into summer, I'll be tramping through the south island in my (well really Maarika's) light winter jacket, dreaming of Australia, my next destination, and the sun and heat that I hope to find there!
Walking along the beach with Luca and Susan
No comments:
Post a Comment