Saturday, May 30, 2009

There's been a slight change of plans..

So I've spent the last couple of weeks moving from Queenstown, to Christchurch (being stopped by countless sheep traffic jams), to Kaikoura, to Wellington.  In Wellington I stayed with some relatives, and we all hid from the extreme wind - I made it across the Cook Strait with 5m swells (the Strait between the North and South Islands) - the day before the ferry was cancelled due to large swells, and the three days after I made it to Wellington the swells grew from 5m to 14m!!  Luckily I didn't get stuck in Picton (the town on the South Island where you catch the ferry) waiting for the waves to settle because there is absolutely nothing to do there.  Instead, I got to relax in Wellington.  We did manage to make it out to go see Te Papa museum, do a little driving tour, and go by Geoff's old house to see how the whole front fence had been blown over by the wind.  Ana and I went up to Mount Victoria to try to get a good overview of the city.  We were out of the car for maybe 3 minutes - the fastest Mount Vic tour she's ever given - before being blown back into the car.
I am now back in Piha (west of Auckland on the coast) at Susan's beach house, preparing my bags and getting ready to leave New Zealand on Tuesday.

Here is the change though - instead of going to Australia, I am coming HOME!!  Just for one week, but it will be an amazing week.
At the end of that week I will be jetting off to SPAIN with Maarika for a sisterly trip, before heading over to Estonia for a couple of weeks (where Maarika will stay for most of the summer) and then London for a few days on my way home.  The first half of my gap year traveling adventure is coming to an end, but there will be loads more to see and do once I hit Europe, including enjoying the heat of the Spanish sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment